anger. 16 kids? really? you were a "slave" and you remember what it was like - and you didnt get any better. did you rise above the family or do better? NO - and yet you are comfortable doing this to your kids?? The mothers looked relieved as they were pointing to the children that they were handing off to slavery. They are a burden, not wanted. The poor kids have no idea what awaits them. You can see it on their face that they dont understand. They have no feelings, they think its normal. They sing of suffering - 8 year olds singing of suffering????? They should barely know the definition of the word, let along have an understanding beyond their years. They should be exploring. Learning. Enjoying their youth. What lazy, irresponsible parents!! - A mother says- "I dont work, i depend on them to work" What does she do? I did not see a handicap, no physical disability. Overall she looked healthy.
This clip really made me mad and at the same time it hardened my heart. For a few moments I did not feel any remorse for those parents. I was angry at them for dumping these children for the world to take care of. Not taking responsibility. Not using protection to prevent pregnancy. They were out for their own satisfaction in their sexual ways, and let nature run its course - knowing they can dispose of the children. Most of those children will grow to be adults, who will then either do exactly what their parents are doing or try to flee the country. Most likely make an attempt to the states with the possibility of losing their life on the dangerous journey. Then what - they will not only be a burden to their parents, but now will be a burden to the economy of the United States and thus the world.
Watching this made my problems disappear. I was ashamed complaining about my computer malfunctioning and having to wait a few hours to get it fixed. What I deal with every day is nothing of what these kids have to go through. Sad part is, no one is there to pity them. No one is there to hold their hands, or console them when their body hurts from working. No one is going to be there when they get older to prevent the same happening to their children.
Where does the chain end and who is responsible to stop it? That for me is the most difficult question to answer. Is it our responsibility to help them, do we take on the burden by adopting these children and spending money, time and resources on education proper parenting techniques?
The Christian in me says, no question about it - absolutely you help.
But the human in me, the human that gets up every morning to get to work, do my homework, take care of those dependent on me and pay the bills - says - No, you cannot help. They made their bed, they sleep in it. They need to take responsibility for their own country. Their own actions. This is their culture, who am I to say how they run it? Who am I to say there's a right and wrong to parenting? Who am I to say they can have 16 kids?
And then I find myself asking, what about those Haitians that live in the United States. Those lucky enough to get out - do they look back? Do they try to help? Are they teaching right and wrong to the younger generations? I would like to say yes, but I know a few of them. And they haven't even looked back to their country. They go out with every intention of never looking back. They cut all communication with their family, and only recently made an attempt to contact them because of the disaster this spring.
Thats another thing - what happened during that devastating earthquake in the spring of 2010? The country was in a bad shape when this video was shot in 2007 - those 8 year olds are now 11, which means most of them are now at child bearing age, assuming they are healthy enough. It wont be long before they are already having chidlren, and with them being so young and not knowing any better - the cycle begins.
I am unfortunately torn between my christian self and my selfish self. I want to help, but I also intend on living my life. I work hard so that I can enjoy things in life - - what does that say about me? I know i will never be able to cure the world - I do help when and where I can. The rest I will not dwell on, but I can pray.
No comments:
Post a Comment