Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Homerun

This is not the first time I have seen this video - I saw it when it was first aired on ESPN not long ago - in fact I beleive the other teammates were invited to the ESPY for the sportsmanship award - where they replayed this video and interviews.

This is a prime example of what sportsmanship is all about. Being that this is a championship game, - thats what makes this such a great momment in sports. Aside from their actions - it allowed women to top the charts in what is still a male dominated activity. Being from the south, In have witnessed such acts in most sports.

I remember one friend from highschool who was such a softie. He played some awesome football as a wide receiver and excellent basketball - however, he was always getting fussed at by the coaches during the game. Not because he was making mistakes - he was an incredible play maker - but he would stop dead in his tracks to help another player up after knocking him down. He was a pretty stout guy so it was easy to get pushed around. During basketball season he was always giving a hand to opposing teams when the play was over. Coach would always say, Adrian, this is no time to play the nice guy card - get over here"
It was just a part of his nature, part of his raising. I knew when he went to college he would carry the same mannerisms, and at every football game he never disappointed me. It is difficult for me to imagine a moment when someone wouldn't help. Where the game was far more important than the enjoyment of playing. I could turn on my determination just as fast as I could turn it off if I saw someone in danger or hurting - needing help - regardless of the team they are on.

I enjoyed watching this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment